Friday, March 14, 2008

The Reading Corner

Rarely do I find works of fiction that deeply affect and grow my view of God and reality. I've been blessed to have read two such books recently.

"Christ the Lord: The Road to Cana" by Anne Rice. The same Rice who wrote all the vampire books. She's become a believer and is writing a fiction trilogy on Christ growing up. Her first book was okay, but this second book shows a depth of theological and spiritual understanding that had me crying. Her portrayals of Christ's baptism and temptation in the desert are affecting. She gives a greatly detailed account of the Jewish history surrounding Christ at the time.

"The Shack" by William Young. I hate bandwagons and this is definately a book that Christians are jumping on. How could they not when it's so encouraging to the Spirit and has sound theology in it.

This has definately encouraged me the last week...I think His timing is good, even in my reading schedule.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad to see you have finally read "The Shack". It does seem a bit like a bandwagon, but not nearly as much as other books that have had less impact on my life.
Much love,
Trish