Thursday, May 31, 2007

Awake, O Sleeper

I've become addicted to prayer on Tuesdays. A friend and I started meeting nearly every week last year to pray and talk about deep stuff for a couple hours. I think I've developed some spiritual discipline without even trying because I get this overwhelming need to pray with someone on Tuesdays! So, since I'm in B-town, when my sis brought me coffee this morning I didn't give her a choice of praying or not.

The passage from James 1:22-24 will not let go of me: "Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says! Anyone who listens to the word but does not do what it says is like a man who looks at his face in a mirror and, after looking at himself, goes away and immediately forgets what he looks like.
Have you ever really studied your face in the mirror...I always start to get a little creeped out because I start to wonder if I really know that person. That person is reality in the flesh...and yet if I don't look at my face I can very easily forget how quickly my expressions can turn into something I ignore. If I more conscientously thought about what looks flitted across my face in a day I would understand myself much better. When I make those expressions in the mirror I acknowledge them (good and bad).
So, all this to say, I'm awake to my Self (the one He's created) today. I don't know how long I will acknowledge His world instead of mine, but I'm hoping for all day long baby!

P.S. Heather of England please e-mail me or leave me a comment to know how to get to your blog. I'm praying for you :0)

No comments: