Sunday, April 06, 2008

The Skeez Factor

How do you know when the 14 yr old neighbor boy likes you just a little too much? When he starts putting his arm around your shoulder. The thing is that I think this boy and his sister are nice. Both of their parents work a lot, so they hang with my kids just for something to do and to get some attention from an adult. How do I nicely tell him to knock it off? I'd hate to kick him outta my yard, but he seems to have boundary issues in general.

That leads me skeez male number two. There is a guy at church that has no idea how uncomfortable he makes the females around him. A lot of hugs and shoulder nudges...the thing that sucks is that I think he's oblivious to it. What happened in their upbringing/personality that makes them miss those normal social clues as to what is appropriate and what makes females avoid them. Sigh, unfortunately THAT'S my observation for the day.

5 comments:

Tarasview said...

I don't know what to tell you to do! But I've had a similar experience except it was while I was in college. This 15 year old boy that lived near by would come and say "hug me, I'm needy" to me all the time. So creepy!

we also have a icky guy at church. Actually we have two. One talks to my boobs everytime he sees me. The other is just as creepy but less obvious. Icky.

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry, what an uncomfortable thing! Maybe you should just be upfront...maybe no one has ever told these guys how to be socially acceptable?

Thanks for stopping by my blog!

Anonymous said...

So curious....

Bebemiqui said...

I'm assuming Anonymous is someone from church???

Nissa said...

Be upfrontwith the 14 year old. Polite, but firm. Teens try to push the limits anyway, so jokingly or apologetically wouldn't work too well, I think.

No one can expect the man at church to change without telling him social boundaries are being crossed. It might be something in his upbringing, or a mild mental illness issue that doesn't clue him in to obvious social clues. :)