Sunday, August 12, 2007

Generation Gap

Finally had one of those conversations with Ruth that makes you realize the age gap. We were sitting in the NWA club room on our way home from Florida and the kids were entertaining themselves by playing with an unplugged lobby phone. I noticed Ruth couldn't figure out whether the end with the cord attached was the talking part or not! That seemed so foreign to me, so I went on to explain to her that back in the day, ALL phones had cords and had to stay attached to the wall.
Her eyes got huge and she said, "But Mom! What if you need to call someone while you're in the car?!"
"Well honey, you didn't talk on the phone in the car, you just had to wait until you got home to call someone."
The poor kid almost fainted with horror. I went on to explain a time when you couldn't leave a message for someone, you just had to call back. I think she thought I was lying! How times have changed.

We spent four glorious days on a Florida beach courtesy of my father and mother-in-law. I could've spent all day trying to catch waves on the boogy board if my stinking legs wouldn't have gotten tired. Hubby was stung by jellyfish a couple of times and I sunburned a most unfortunate area...my hips!! Do you know how painful it is to wear pants when they keep rubbing those burns! Now I can finally buckle down this week and acknowledge that my sweet girl starts kindergarten next Wednesday.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That phone story is a classic...made me giggle. Thanks for sharing! It sounds like you had a great time.