Sunday, October 05, 2008

Has It Affected You Yet?

I don't normally plug NPR, but "This American Life" has done 2 phenomenal shows explaining the reasons for the mortgage collapse AND the economic collapse.

I knew there had to be a good reason why most people in the government thought this bailout was a good idea...after listening to these shows, I understand better why. Here's also an interesting sidenote: Paulson is an expert on the Great Depression. He's done extensive studying on it and I gotta say, that makes me feel better.

Now, if it all falls apart, I have to say, it excites me. Here's why: Our generations have gotten more and more greedy and self-centered as time has progressed. If we enter a time where our almighty money has failed us and we have to band together more as communities, I see that as a good thing.

We believers (and people in general) forget so easily that true character and depth are built through adversity. Don't you think that if believers can thrive in their growth in Africa that we can do so here?! This would also shoot the prosperity gospel in the butt...granted, some "Christians" may fall away, but I think this could make the church as a whole stronger.

Has this affected my household yet? I would say no, but it may be coming. Living on church support could make things really tight if people stop giving as much to God. I'd like to think it would have the opposite effect. We're on some government program and I need to reapply for others and I know the wait time will be longer and I can't wait to see if these government programs continue to function. We're at such a low end of the income bracket that I'm not sure how we could have much less.

Thoughts? Comments? Concerns?

Has it affected your home yet?

2 comments:

jubilee said...

First, thanks for stopping by my blog and entering my giveaway and commenting. It's always great to "hear" fresh voices.

Secondly, we are currently trying to close on a house (I know, the timing! The Timing!) 2 hours away from where we currently live. And the date keeps getting pushed back farther and farther. The last we heard, the lenders were withholding funds b/c there was no stove in the house. Is that not crazy? So we have to go shove a stove into a house that isn't ours yet, take a picture and yank it back out again to return it to the person loaning the stove to us for the purpose.

It's like, everything they can nitpick over they are. I can only think that they are scared to death to have ANOTHER foreclosure on their hands so they are making us jump through hoops (sometimes more than once) to make sure we are serious about the house.

Anyway, I think your take on the situation is a good one. Adversity draws us closer to our Creator and to other believers. I just read another blogger who said, "The bigger the mess, the bigger the MESSAGE." It certainly gives God a chance to work miracles!

Anonymous said...

You are the first person I have "read" with my perpective on this..Most everyone else thinks I am nuts..which may be true.
Nothing like some adversity to help people do what they should have been doing all along.
and we have been praying for revival, right?
welcome to the first step....being out of control and not being able to fix it.

Thanks for stopping by my blog..